Monday, November 3, 2008

Hello World

Greetings and welcome!

I've been working with SharePoint for two years now and I've grown from a novice to an administrator and developer. This is the 3rd iteration of this product, so compared to many other Microsoft products, SharePoint is still in its infancy. For those of us who are using this product so early in its life the frustrations seem boundless. As an administrator, I am constantly wrestling with security inheritance, performance problems, indexing issues, and poorly worded events in a monstrous log!! As a developer I am road blocked by slow build times and memory leaks. However, thanks to the help of many of my fellow SharePoint brothers and sisters, the answers to these problems are available with only a few simple Google searches.

Since I am now entering a territory in SharePoint that due to the lack of Google results appears to be a seldom explored nether region of the SharePoint topography, I will attempt to give back to the community by chronicling what I learn in this blog. Therefore, this blog will be focused upon the use of SharePoint as a complete Document Management System (without DOD 5015). This will include bar codes, management of large libraries (200,000 + documents), content type policies, and large content database management. Also an emphasis on farm performance and stability, please feel free to post comments.

Regards, Mark Gabriel

1 comment:

West Potomac Rugby said...

Thanks for putting up this blog! Like yourself, I'm a gov't contractor who works with SharePoint. I'll definitely be checking back in to see your posts.